Monday, January 20, 2014

a m a z i n g w e e k - November 25, 2013

Wonderful family of mine :)

This has been a wonderful week!! Like an amazing week! I don't even know where to begin!

First- On Tuesday we went to visit a sister in our ward for her birthday. We have been working with her a lot and have built a great relationship with her and her family! She had breast cancer and only found out a few weeks ago that she is now cancer free!! We wanted to do something special for her birthday. She is obsessed with cows and OU so we made her a pan of brownies that we decorated to look like a cow with an OU sign on it! It turned out great!!!! She was sooooooooooooo happy! They came to church this week and I know it is because we showed her love and did something special for her, I wish we could do something for everyone that needed a little extra kindness. I am so thankful for all the people that have done little extra things for me. I look back on it now and know it made me always feel comfortable at church and I have always known people love me there. I wish we could somehow do something for all those who need it so they could return to that love of a ward family. It is a great feeling!

Second- We go and visit a 100-year-old lady every week. She is a member of the ward. She is in a senior care facility and had a stroke in September or October. But she is a trooper! She is recovering soooo well! She is just the cutest lady in the whole entire world! Her name is Emma. Emma was the very first Relief Society president in Greeley! So cool! She can't really talk, and she can't really move very well. But she has the sweetest spirit about her! Sister Smith does this thing with her where she makes faces and Emma makes them back! Hahaha!! It is the cutest thing ever. I love these visits. It brightens our day and hers.

Third- I haven't told you about the family I live with! They are the cutest couple! I think they are in their 70's. The Buss'. Brother Buss is the Stake Patriarch. He is an amazing man. Sister Buss is the nicest lady! She always has treats left out on the kitchen table for us that she keeps stalked at all times :) They are exceptional people and i love living there! So don't worry, I am being taken care of :)

Fourth- WE FOUND 5 NEW INVESTIGATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUP! I AM NOT LYING :) We came into this area with 0 investigators, and we found 5 this week!! It was amazing! I really saw the Lord's hand in helping us find them! We found 1 while tracting. I don't really know what will happen with her. We set up a return appointment with her. We met her quickly and she asked if we could come back in 30 minutes. We said yes and tracted near her house so we could make sure she didn't leave - lol. As we were walking back to her house, she got in her car and drove off.... hahaha! We are not giving up on her though!

The second person we found while trying to visit a less active member. We went to the apt. building and were locked out trying to find a way in when a girl came down the stairs and we started talking to her and she said she would be interested in meeting with us :)
The third is a husband of a less-active member. She was baptized in 2006 and hasn't really ever gone back to church. She wants to now though! And he wants to take the discussions! :) Yippee!!!!

The fourth and fifth are my favorite! SAM AND NAOMI :) They actually found us. We were out trying to visit a less-active family. It was dark, like about 8:00. We were having a hard time seeing the house numbers. We must have really looked lost. This guy got out of his car and asked if we need help finding something. We jumped on the opportunity to see if he would like to learn more about our church. He said "absolutely!" Sam is 18. His mom was with him,  her name is Naomi, and we started talking to her too. They are really interested in learning more! They have never heard of Mormons or the Book of Mormon! They take care of Naomi's grandma, Mary. She has a massive tumor on her lip. And is actually going to get radiation today. They asked us to come inside and pray with their grandma. It was an amazing experience. 

Sam takes care of his great-grandma and grandpa. They are 94 years old. He has had to put his life on hold to help his mom take care of them. He is an exceptional young man. He was so honored when we gave him the Book of Mormon and treated it like gold. Sam was going to come to church with us yesterday but had to cancel last minute because some nurses were coming over to their house and he had to be there. Naomi called us yesterday, she had to spend the weekend in Denver helping her mom out. She was really worried about her grandma and asked if we could go over and say a pray with her before the radiation. So we asked her if we could have the Elders give her Grandma a blessing. She said absolutely! So we called the Elders and they came over to their house at 8:45 last night and gave her a blessing. It was beautiful. Richard, Mary's husband, cried. It was such an amazing and spiritual experience. After the blessing, Naomi wanted us to call her and pray with her over the phone. So we did. It was ,again, an amazing experience! She cried and cried! Sam and Naomi and even Richard are so ready for the gospel! I know Heavenly Father orchestrated for our paths to cross!!! We have decided that we are going to try and commit them to be baptized on December 14th! PLEASE pray that they will commit and follow through with this date! And pray for Mary during her treatment today and for their family that they may receive blessings!

Also, on saturday Sister Hoer and I got a call from the Bishop and he asked us to speak during church! I had 1 days notice! You know I don't like that! I like time to prepare! But I was able to pull it off and I actually think it went really well :)

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving this week family! I am going to miss being with you!! But I do have some fun plans :) I am very excited! My favorite family in the ward is having us over with about 6 other missionaries! It is going to be a lot of fun! I think I am going to make buttermilk pie because it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it :)

A few more things, some in response to your emails....

I am so jealous you get to go to a private concert for Mindy Gledhill. Like so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I hope you have fun :)

I am so sorry to hear about the Kings baby in the NICU. I will be praying for them.

Thanks for your pep talk about Spanish mom :) I needed to hear that. and I do have Spanish study books already.

I have felt really impressed that you need to get a better food storage and 72 hour kit. I really think that is something you should take time in doing.

Just a heads up, I am going to have to dip into personal funds this week. Sorry! I really try not to! but I am running low on money... So please have some money in there for me to use :) I had to buy some wool tights a few days ago because it is so dang cold here! So you probably noticed some money gone. that is why :)

I would like to challenge you guys to read "Beware of Pride" by Pres. Benson as a family. It is a wonderful talk! And I think it will inspire us to just be a little better. Especially in treating each other better. He talks about how a form of pride is not being able to take it when some one corrects you. I know that is something that our family struggles with. So I think this talk will help everyone. It has sure helped me!!!!!!

HAVE A GREAT WEEK FAM! I LOVE YOU!!

-Hermana Mangum :)















No comments:

Post a Comment